SERVES 4 FOR DINNER, PLUS LUNCHES
PRESERVED LEMON DRESSING
- 1/4 cup (60ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons charmoula (from Chicken Cutlets)
- 1 tablespoon chopped preserved lemon
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Pinch of sugar
- Lots of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (180g) soft (or hard) wheat berries
- 1 cup (185g) jasmine rice
- 1/2 cup (85g) quinoa, rinsed
- 8 ounces (225g) sautéed thinly sliced asparagus
- 8 baby turnips, scrubbed and cut into small wedges
- Leftover chicken or steak, cut into small pieces (you’ll want a cup or two)
- 1/2 cup (75g) crumbled feta
1 To make the dressing, combine all of the ingredients plus lots of freshly ground pepper in a mason jar. Cover the jar and shake it like a madman! Taste and adjust the seasoning. Store in the fridge until later in the week.
2 Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the wheat berries and cook at a gentle boil for 30 minutes. Stir in the rice, then 5 minutes later, stir in the quinoa. Cook the grains until they’re tender but not soft, about 5 minutes more. Drain and let cool. Store in the fridge for later in the week.
3 The day of: Get out a big bowl and mix together the cooked grains, asparagus, turnips, and chicken or steak. Give the dressing a good shake to re-emulsify it, then pour half of it over the grains. Fold together. Taste the salad, and add more dressing as you see fit. Top with feta.