SERVES 4, WITH LEFTOVERS CHARMOULA
- 1 cup (20g) packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 cup (20g) packed fresh cilantro leaves and stems
- 2 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Large pinch of Aleppo pepper or crushed red pepper flakes
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup (175ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken cutlets
- 3 tablespoons chopped preserved lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 To make the charmoula, combine the parsley, cilantro, scallions, garlic, cumin, cinnamon, salt, Aleppo pepper, and lemon zest in the bowl of a food processor. With the machine running, add the olive oil in a slow, steady stream, stopping once or twice to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Pulse in the vinegar. The charmoula should be loose enough to drop from a spoon; if not, add more oil. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Store one-third of the charmoula in a container for the grain salad and other uses. Set aside the remaining charmoula while you prepare the chicken cutlets.
2 Flatten the chicken cutlets between sheets of parchment paper until 1/3 inch (8mm) thick. Mix half of the reserved charmoula with the preserved lemon and spread it all over the cutlets. Cover and place in the fridge until you’re ready to eat. Reserve the remaining charmoula for serving.
3 The day of: Heat the grill to medium-high. Grill the cutlets, turning once when the bottom side is browned and cooked around the edges, about 3 minutes. Grill until just cooked through, another 3 minutes, then put the cutlets on a serving platter. Top with a few spoonfuls of the reserved charmoula and season with salt and pepper.