For the Cupcakes:
- 1 stick of butter (4 oz)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 oz bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup Laphroaig whiskey
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or strong coffee
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
For the Ganache:
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp butter (room temperature)
- 1 tsp Laphroaig whiskey
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate, butter, whiskey and cocoa. Stir until smooth, then remove the bowl and let it cool until barely warm.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- Beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla together in a large bowl.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a smaller bowl.
- When chocolate mixture has cooled, scrape into the egg mixture and beat together.
- Add half the flour mix to the egg/chocolate mix - stir gently - add sour cream - stir gently - add remaining flour mix - stir gently
- Scoop batter evenly into the lined muffin tin.
- Bake for 17 minutes, or just before a cake tester comes out clean from the center of the cupcakes. Underbake, don't overbake.
- Let cool for 10 minutes in the tin, then remove cupcakes and place them on a cooling rack. Ice with ganache when completely cool.
To make the ganache:
- Chop the chocolate, and transfer to a heat-proof bowl.
- Heat the cream in a small saucepan until simmering, and then pour over the chocolate.
- Let the mixture sit for 1 minute, then stir until smooth.
- Add the butter and whiskey, stir until combined.
- Let the ganache cool until thick, but soft enough to pour.
- Pour on completely cooled cupcakes, push it around with a spoon.