- Nuoc Mau (Vietnamese caramel sauce)
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 2lb Pork butt or shoulder
- 6 or so hard boiled eggs
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2 cans coconut water
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp white pepper
- Water if needed
- Heat pot to med-high add sugar and enough water to just cover the sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved. After around 10 minutes, the sugar will start to brown.
- When the sugar is a dark golden brown, add the meat and stir to coat. When the meat has browned, add onions and garlic.
- Add the coconut water and, if needed, water to just cover the meat. Add fish sauce & pepper.
- Lower heat and simmer until braising liquid has thickened to desired consistency.
- Approx. 15 minutes before ready to serve, add peeled eggs and coat with braising liquid.
- Serve over rice.