Serves 4 to 6
For the pesto:
- 2 cups arugula, washed and dried
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1 cup Manchego cheese, grated
- 1/4 to 1/2 cups Extra Virgin Olive Oil
For the salad
- 2 cups cooked farro
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, 1/4 inch dice
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, diced
- With the exception of the olive oil combine all the pesto ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse it a few times to form a paste.
- With the processor running drizzle in a 1/4 cup of oil and blend. If it seems wet enough do not add more oil but if it seems dry add a teaspoon or two.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- In a mixing bowl combine the farro with half the pesto and mix it to combine. Add the tomatoes, pepper flakes, lemon juice, chives, and mozzarella. Toss the salad to combine and taste. Adjust the seasoning if necessary or add more pesto if you think it needs it. Serve.