SERVES 4 FOR 2 DINNERS
- 4 pounds (1.8kg) bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs or legs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes (about 12 ounces), chopped
- 2 cups (300g) cherry tomatoes
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2/3 cup (160ml) dry, fruity rosé
- Rice, Oven-Roasted Polenta, or crusty bread for serving
1 Heat the oven to 375 ° F (190 ° C). Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
2 Put 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the garlic, and the chopped tomatoes in a baking dish large enough to hold all of the chicken in one layer. Arrange the chicken, skin side up, on top. Scatter the cherry tomatoes over the chicken, tucking them into the crevices wherever they’ll fit.
3 Add the thyme sprigs to the dish and sprinkle the pepper flakes and basil evenly over the chicken, followed by more salt and pepper. Pour the rosé gently into the crevices, being careful not to splash the chicken. Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over everything.
4 Bake the chicken, uncovered, until the skin is crisp and the tomatoes have slackened and started to caramelize, about 1 hour.
5 If the sauce seems thin, transfer the chicken to a plate and turn up the heat for a few minutes; let the sauce boil until it thickens and becomes glossy. Discard the thyme sprigs, taste, and adjust the seasoning.
6 Return the chicken to the sauce and let cool. Cover and refrigerate in the pan for up to 5 days.
7 The day of: Reheat the chicken in the pan in a 250 ° F (120 ° C) oven for about 20 minutes. Serve with rice, polenta, or crusty bread.