MAKES 1 1/2 CUPS (355ML)
- 1 head garlic, with 1 clove peeled and set aside
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon (190ml) extra-virgin olive oil, plus a splash for the garlic
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 egg yolks
- 5 anchovy fillets
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, plus more if needed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Heat your oven to 375 ° F (190 ° C). Cut 1/4 inch (6mm) off the head of garlic and place the head, cut side up, on a big square of aluminum foil. Give it a splash of water and a splash of olive oil. Bring the corners of the foil up over the garlic to make a loosely wrapped little package. Bake for about 45 minutes. Remove the garlic from the oven and let it cool in the foil. Squeeze the roasted garlic out of 4 or 5 cloves and set the rest aside for the brandade (if you’re not making the brandade, the garlic is really good spread on grilled bread with salted butter).
2 Put the roasted garlic, the raw garlic clove, mustard, vinegars, egg yolks, anchovies, and lemon juice into a blender or food processor and blend for 30 seconds or until combined.
3 With the machine running, add the olive oil in a slow, steady stream until it’s incorporated and the dressing looks smooth. Taste and add salt, pepper, and more lemon juice as desired. The dressing will keep for a week in the refrigerator.