- 4 (5-7 oz) bone-in, skin on chicken thighs, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 scallion, sliced
- Toss chicken with soy sauce in large bowl. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to an hour.
- Remove chicken from soy sauce, allowing excess to drip back into bowl. Transfer chicken, skin side down, to 10-inch nonstick skillet and set aside soy sauce.
- Place skillet over medium-high heat and cook until chicken skin is browned, 10 minutes. While chicken is browning, whisk coconut milk, water, vinegar, garlic, bay leaves, and pepper into soy sauce.
- Transfer chicken to plate and discard fat in skillet. Return chicken to skillet skin side down, add coconut milk mixture, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered, for 15 minutes. Flip chicken skin side up and continue to cook, uncovered, until chicken registers 175 degrees, 15-20 minutes longer. Transfer chicken to platter and tent loosely with aluminum foil.
- Discard bay leaves. Return sauce to simmer and cook until slightly thickened and reduced, about 2 minutes.