Makes 6 small pies
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
4 lamb shanks
salt and pepper
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 cup red wine
3 cups beef stock
1 tablespoon tomato puree
1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Heat oven to 375F.
- Melt oil and butter in a large pan.
- Rub the shanks well in with salt and pepper.
- Brown on all sides in the pan.
- Take them out and add onion and garlic.
- Sauté until the garlic is soft.
- Add bay leaf, cumin, red wine, stock, tomato pure and sugar.
- Stir well and add the shanks.
- Put on a lid and place in the oven for 2 1/2 hours.
- Take them out and let it cool.
- Pull of the meat and add the meat to the sauce.
- Put the mixture into small pie pans.
- Roll out the puff pastry and top each pie with it.
- Cut out hearts and place on top.
- Bake at 375F until golden.
- Serve warm.