Ingredients (serves 4):
- 2 cups cubed stale white bread from a baguette, Italian loaf, or sliced bread (crusts removed)
- 1 1/2 cups cold water, divided
- 1/3 cup whole, blanched almonds
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallot
- 2 cups diced, peeled English cucumber (about 1 large cucumber)
- 3/4 cup green grapes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 1/2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Chives or scallions for garnish (optional)
Place the bread cubes in a bowl and pour 1/2 cup water on top to soften them.
Place the almonds and garlic in a blender and purée until finely ground. Add the shallot, cucumber, grapes, oil, vinegar, salt, and softened bread to the blender along with the remaining 1 cup water. Purée until smooth. Taste and adjust salt as needed. Add more water to the soup as needed to achieve desired consistency. Serve at room temperature or chilled. Serve in bowls or glasses and garnish with sliced grapes, almonds, and chives or scallions, if desired.