- 1 cup green lentils, rinsed & drained
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 4 bratwursts
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 fat garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 apple,peeled, cored, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 small bunch thyme
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1/2 + half of 1/3 cups alcoholic apple cider
- 1/2 + half of 1/3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 celery stalk, finely chopped
- Sour Cream, optional
- Cook the lentils in a saucepan of boiling water for 15-20 minutes until tender. Drain, then set aside until needed.
- Meanwhile, heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a large frypan over medium-low heat. Cook the sausages, turning, for 6-8 minutes until browned. Transfer to a place and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic, then cook for 2 minutes or until softended. Increase heat to medium, add the apple, thyme, and bay leaf, then season. Cook for a further 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Add the cider and stock, then bring to a simmer and cook for 7-8 minutes until liquid is slightly reduced.
- Return the sausages to the pan with the celery and lentils, then cook for 4-5 minutes until warmed through.
- Ladle lentil mixture among serving plates and top with the sausages. Serve with sour cream if desired.